11.08.2012

Crashing Into Desctruction

My family is literally crashing into destruction.  Not my little family (my husband and my boys), but my big family (parents and siblings).  It’s been a long time in coming, but this year has been the darkest and hardest season of my family’s life…ever.  This past week has been the worst…everything reaching the critical mass moment for my family.

As I reflect on our reality right now, a few things stand out, truths that are blaringly clear.  This is what I want to share today.  I do not have wise words of my own.  I do not have much to offer.  This blog is where I walk out my life as a form of worship, so even in some of my darkest days, I offer truth as my way to worship God.  I offer these truths as reminders for myself, but also warnings to you.  Own them.  Hold them.  Make them a part of your very existence.  Do not sacrifice that which matters most for things of momentary urgency or misplaced priorities or deathly distractions.  

From Piper:
 
All the planets of your life – your sexuality and desires, your commitments and beliefs, your aspirations and dreams, your attitudes and convictions, your habits and disciplines, your solitude and relationships, your labor and leisure, your thinking and feeling – all the planets of your life are held in orbit by the greatness and gravity and blazing brightness of the supremacy of Jesus Christ at the center of your life.  And if he ceases to be the bright, blazing, satisfying beauty at the center of your life, the planets will fly into confusion, and a hundred things will be out of control, and sooner or later they will crash into destruction. 

From my childhood pastor (Pastor Joe):

Sin will take you farther than you ever intended to go, keep you longer than you ever intended to stay, and cost you more than you ever intended to pay. 

Why do I share these bold truths with you?  Because I have to scream them out into the darkness today.  I have to speak these truths as destruction encroaches.   

Jesus is all.   

He must stay central or everything falls apart.  Maybe not today.  But eventually.  It will all fall apart.  And sin.  Sin will destroy you.  Maybe not today, but eventually.  Deal with your sin.  Kill it now.  Do not coddle it.  Do not hold it close to you, feeding it and tending it.  Kill it.  Go back and read my post (click here), “The Death of Downton Abbey” and begin the process of digging up roots of sin in your life…and never stop.  You’ll never reach a point where you won’t have to face the sinfulness of your own self and constantly run to Jesus to rescue you.  Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment